You searched for: Content Type Journal Article Remove constraint Content Type: Journal Article Publishing Institution ARI Movement Remove constraint Publishing Institution: ARI Movement Political Geography Middle East Remove constraint Political Geography: Middle East Topic Religion Remove constraint Topic: Religion
- Author: Bernard El Ghoul
- Publication Date: 06-2015
- Content Type: Journal Article
- Institution: ARI Movement
- Abstract: The intensification of Russia’s diplomacy in the Middle East is combined with a clearly defined objective: positioning itself as the new protector of persecuted Christians in the region. The author highlights both the ambitions of the Kremlin in the Mediterranean and the ever-growing influence of the Russian Orthodox Church, which has become a major political actor. Moscow sees Shiite Islam as its ally in the Middle East and is increasingly aligning itself with a Shiite axis composed of Iran, Syria, and the Lebanese Hezbollah. The author examines this burgeoning Russian-Shiite alliance in light of Russia’s strategic interests in the region.
- Topic: Diplomacy, Religion, Violent Extremism, Hezbollah
- Political Geography: Russia, Europe, Middle East, Lebanon, Syria