You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Political Geography North Africa Remove constraint Political Geography: North Africa Topic Syrian War Remove constraint Topic: Syrian War
- Publication Date: 03-2019
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: Future for Advanced Research and Studies (FARAS)
- Abstract: Improving the performance of local governments, local administration, village councils, and municipalities in Arab conflict zones face a set of challenges. The most prominent among these challenges are the continued internal armed conflicts with regional dimensions, strengthening the legitimacy of certain political regimes, power struggle between central and local governments, growing partisan and political disputes, severe destruction in areas controlled by terrorist organizations, and the growing fiscal deficits of local councils. On one hand, the fiscal deficits have increased amid a low level of donor support, poor development of councils’ resources, and the enduring conflict between the legitimate government and armed militias. The influx of irregular migrants have also imposed a double burden on already overstretched local bodies.
- Topic: Governance, Conflict, Syrian War, Bashar al-Assad
- Political Geography: Middle East, Arab Countries, North Africa, Syria