You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Political Geography Melanesia Remove constraint Political Geography: Melanesia Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Colonialism Remove constraint Topic: Colonialism
- Author: Ben Bohane
- Publication Date: 10-2019
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: Lowy Institute for International Policy
- Abstract: As Bougainville prepares for a referendum on independence, Australia must navigate a policy response that acknowledges the history of conflict and colonialism there, Bougainville nationalism, PNG sensitivities, the principles of the guiding Bougainville Peace Agreement and new geostrategic realities to help forge a lasting solution. Bougainville is largely ‘referendum ready’ and its people are expected to vote overwhelmingly for independence in the November referendum. While Bougainville has abundant natural resources and a skilled older generation, as an independent nation it would face many challenges including fiscal self-reliance, consensus on mining issues, unity and political integrity. Australia has a significant stake in the outcome and should step up its engagement to remain a trusted peace and security broker in Melanesia. It should not oppose Bougainville’s independence if that is the result under the referendum and peace process, and should take a leading role in ensuring a peaceful resolution between the parties.
- Topic: Foreign Policy, Colonialism, Conflict, Independence, Referendum
- Political Geography: Australia, Papua New Guinea, Bougainville, Melanesia