You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Political Geography India Remove constraint Political Geography: India Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Publication Year within 1 Year Remove constraint Publication Year: within 1 Year Topic Civil Rights Remove constraint Topic: Civil Rights
- Author: Swaminathan S. Anklesaria Aiyar, Neeraj Kaushal
- Publication Date: 07-2020
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: The Cato Institute
- Abstract: Do historically isolated forest tribes need protection from modernization? Critics claim that modernization, especially through dams and mining, is disastrous for tribes and that tribespeople cannot handle commercial life, are easily duped, and end up destitute. Some modernization projects have fueled Maoist insurrections. However, other examples show that tribes can join mainstream society and prosper if empowered with property rights and civil rights.
- Topic: Civil Rights, Modernization, Property, Tribes, Forest
- Political Geography: South Asia, India