You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Political Geography European Union Remove constraint Political Geography: European Union Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Geopolitics Remove constraint Topic: Geopolitics
- Author: Nicola Bilotta, Alissa Siara
- Publication Date: 04-2020
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: Istituto Affari Internazionali
- Abstract: One of the key priorities of the new European Commission is to enhance the EU’s geopolitical credentials and “learn to use the language of power”, as stated by the incoming EU High Representative Josep Borrell. The EU’s ambition is two-fold: to increase the Union’s ability to project power and influence at the global level, including through increased integration and coordination among member states, and secondly to enhance the EU’s strategic autonomy from the US in the political, military and economic domains. Both objectives, ambitious in the best of circumstances, are today under severe strain by the COVID-19 crisis. Implications will be long-lasting and multidimensional, and for Europe, its impact will have a direct bearing on its ambition for strategic autonomy, touching each of the three pillars outlined above.
- Topic: Regional Cooperation, Geopolitics, Economy, Autonomy, Coronavirus
- Political Geography: Europe, European Union