You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Political Geography Burundi Remove constraint Political Geography: Burundi Publication Year within 1 Year Remove constraint Publication Year: within 1 Year Topic Responsibility to Protect (R2P) Remove constraint Topic: Responsibility to Protect (R2P)
- Author: Elisabeth Pramendorfer
- Publication Date: 06-2020
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: The Global Centre for the Responsibility to Protect
- Abstract: Earlier this month, on 18 June, Burundi swore in Évariste Ndayishimiye as the country’s new president, nearly one month after winning a contested election against Agathon Rwasa and other opposition candidates. The accelerated inauguration process followed the unexpected death of President Pierre Nkurunziza on 8 June. Amidst this rapid transition – initially set to take place in August – Burundians and the international community are waiting to see if the new government will seize upon this unique moment in the country’s history. Can President Ndayishimiye and the new government reverse the policies pursued by President Nkurunziza that deepened societal divisions and resulted in years of political conflict?
- Topic: Elections, Responsibility to Protect (R2P), Atrocities
- Political Geography: Africa, Burundi