You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Publishing Institution Political Violence @ A Glance Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Political Violence @ A Glance Political Geography United States Remove constraint Political Geography: United States Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Topic Assassination Remove constraint Topic: Assassination
- Publication Date: 01-2020
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: Political Violence @ A Glance
- Abstract: On January 3, 2020, an American drone strike killed Qassem Soleimani, the commander of the Iranian Quds Force, and one of the most influential military and political figures in Iran. It is an extraordinary event—former American army general and director of the CIA David Petraeus called it “more consequential” than the killing of Osama bin Laden—with potentially profound implications for US-Iranian relations, and the entire Middle East. Here, international relations experts from UC San Diego discuss why the Trump administration killed Soleimani; what might come next; and the implications for US domestic politics. This conversation has been edited for length and clarity.
- Topic: International Law, Military Intervention, Assassination, Armed Conflict
- Political Geography: United States, Iran