You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Publishing Institution Our Secure Future Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Our Secure Future Political Geography Global Focus Remove constraint Political Geography: Global Focus Topic Foreign Policy Remove constraint Topic: Foreign Policy
- Author: Ambassador Donald Steinberg
- Publication Date: 06-2019
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: Our Secure Future
- Abstract: The White House has now released its long-awaited Strategy on Women, Peace, and Security (WPS). The strategy is mandated under the bipartisan Women, Peace, and Security Act of 2017, which requires the Administration to develop a broad national strategy to support meaningful roles for women around the world in peace operations and political, civic, economic, and security systems. The White House has instructed the Departments of State, Defense, and Homeland Security and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to produce specific implementation plans within 120 days. The short 15-page text is not the comprehensive strategy required by Congress, but rather a statement of principles and priorities that these four agencies are to use to adopt action plans. As such, it is vital that members of Congress and civil society organizations now assist these agencies in making time-bound, measurable commitments backed by accountability provisions and ample resources, and then hold the Administration’s feet to the fire.
- Topic: Foreign Policy, Diplomacy, Women, WPS
- Political Geography: United States, Global Focus