You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Publishing Institution German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP) Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Coronavirus Remove constraint Topic: Coronavirus
- Author: András Rácz
- Publication Date: 03-2020
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP)
- Abstract: Political leaders could abuse the coronavirus crisis to undermine democracy. Europe’s biggest risk is Hungary. In late March, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán could use his two-thirds majority in parliament to push through a law that would empower him to rule by decrees with no specified time limit. If he succeeds, it will undermine the European Union’s core principles, making the EU even more fragmented and difficult to manage once the pandemic is over.
- Topic: Government, Authoritarianism, European Union, Democracy, Coronavirus, Pandemic
- Political Geography: Europe, Hungary