You searched for: Content Type Commentary and Analysis Remove constraint Content Type: Commentary and Analysis Publishing Institution East-West Center Remove constraint Publishing Institution: East-West Center Topic Gender Issues Remove constraint Topic: Gender Issues
- Author: Sidney B. Westley
- Publication Date: 01-2017
- Content Type: Commentary and Analysis
- Institution: East-West Center
- Abstract: Through the ages, women have specialized in the unpaid work of raising children, maintaining households, and caring for others, while men have been more likely to earn wages in the market (Watkins et al. 1987). As fertility rates have declined, however, women have joined the labor force outside the home in growing numbers. Understanding how women’s economic roles are changing and how and why they may change in the future is crucial for understanding the economic effects of changes in population age structure. It is also vital for improving gender equality, ensuring the wellbeing of children and other family members, and maintaining a healthy rate of economic growth.
- Topic: Gender Issues, International Political Economy
- Political Geography: Global Focus