You searched for: Content Type Book Remove constraint Content Type: Book Publishing Institution The Strategic Studies Institute of the U.S. Army War College Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Strategic Studies Institute of the U.S. Army War College Political Geography United States Remove constraint Political Geography: United States Topic Communications Remove constraint Topic: Communications
- Author: Cori E. Dauber, Carol K. Winkler
- Publication Date: 07-2014
- Content Type: Book
- Institution: The Strategic Studies Institute of the U.S. Army War College
- Abstract: The presence of terrorist and other extremist groups online has risen sharply over the last 2 decades. In 1998, less than half of the U.S. designated Foreign Terrorist Organizations had websites; by the end of 1999, the number had already jumped to include almost all of them. Between 2003 and 2005, the number of websites serving terrorists and their supporters rose to 4,300. The University of Arizona's Dark Web Project provided a recent snapshot of the substantial traffic operating through online sites associated with extremist groups. In 2011, the Dark Web team reported that they had downloaded the contents of 29 extremist online forums, which resulted in the retrieval of more than 1.5 million conversation threads from more than 350,000 authors who had left 14 million messages.
- Topic: Political Violence, Defense Policy, Globalization, Science and Technology, Terrorism, Communications
- Political Geography: United States