You searched for: Content Type Book Remove constraint Content Type: Book Publishing Institution BILGESAM (Wise Men Center for Strategic Studies) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: BILGESAM (Wise Men Center for Strategic Studies) Topic Democracy Remove constraint Topic: Democracy
- Author: Atilla Sandikli
- Publication Date: 12-2009
- Content Type: Book
- Institution: BILGESAM (Wise Men Center for Strategic Studies)
- Abstract: At the last quarter of 20th century, Cold War ended and technological advances in general with significant progresses in communication in particular have generated the phenomenon of globalization. The developments in financial markets and in real economy not only spread through geographical boundaries of nation states but also influence economic, technologic, and socio-cultural spheres decisively. National and international spaces as well as local and global domains are increasingly intertwined. Further beyond the interdependencies among states there are emerging new fields of cooperation and of common interests between societies. Democratic values and awareness on human rights are becoming universally shared norms as their applications expand conspicuously. Pluralist democratic regimes that respect human rights and that achieve a just income distribution provide better welfare systems for their publics. These regimes, in the long term, contribute stability and peace at domestic, regional and international levels. Accordingly, geopolitical weight of the states maintaining such regimes increases.
- Topic: Foreign Policy, Diplomacy, Regional Cooperation, Science and Technology, European Union, Democracy, Strategic Planning
- Political Geography: Russia, Europe, Turkey, Middle East, United States of America