You searched for: Publishing Institution The Jamestown Foundation Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Jamestown Foundation Political Geography Middle East Remove constraint Political Geography: Middle East Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Hezbollah Remove constraint Topic: Hezbollah
- Author: Andrew Devereux
- Publication Date: 10-2020
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: The Jamestown Foundation
- Abstract: The explosion in the Port of Beirut on August 4 caused domestic reverberations throughout Lebanon. With close to 200 people killed, over 6,000 wounded and damages estimated at over $15 billion, the public outrage toward the ruling elite was immediate and damning (Daily Sabah, August 12). The political classes were already subjected to heavy criticism for an ongoing economic crisis that has left 55 percent of the population living below the poverty line, while remnants of the October 2019 protests against political corruption remain active (Middle East Monitor, August 20). In the aftermath of the explosion, public ire accelerated swiftly. No group has come under more scrutiny, or been blamed more directly, than Hezbollah.
- Topic: Corruption, Non State Actors, Hezbollah, Militias, Disaster Management
- Political Geography: Iran, Middle East, Lebanon, Beirut