You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy (ELIAMEP) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy (ELIAMEP) Political Geography Middle East Remove constraint Political Geography: Middle East Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Diplomacy Remove constraint Topic: Diplomacy
- Author: George Tzogopoulos
- Publication Date: 05-2020
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy (ELIAMEP)
- Abstract: This essay by Dr. George Tzogopoulos, focuses on the multidimensional nature of Greek-Israeli relations. The understanding of the depth of these relations can explain why the two countries – along with Cyprus – are interested in coming closer. On the other hand, the effort of Israel and Turkey to normalize bilateral ties – already under way since 2016 – is a logical development that deserves attention. However, it is not related to the future evolution of Greek-Israeli collaboration. The evolution of Greek-Israeli relations in the last decade and trilateral Greece-Israel-Cyprus summits outline the common interest of the three countries to enrich their cooperation. Israel and Turkey have started since 2016 to normalize their relations. This is an ongoing process that has evolved in a period during which Greece, Israel and Cyprus charted a joint course in the Eastern Mediterranean. Israel and Turkey are expected to find a modus vivendi by agreeing on some issues and disagreeing on others. A potential Turkish-Israeli collaboration against Iran in Syria might pave the way for new synergies between Israel and Turkey. This is a highly controversial and complicated matter that entails risks for Ankara.
- Topic: Foreign Policy, Diplomacy, International Cooperation, Bilateral Relations
- Political Geography: Europe, Iran, Turkey, Middle East, Israel, Greece, Syria