Publishing Institution:

Mei

Arnold A. Saltzman Institute of War and Peace Studies


Founded in 1951 under the sponsorship of Dwight D. Eisenhower during his tenure as President of Columbia University, the Institute of War and Peace Studies (IWPS) was renamed the Arnold A. Saltzman Institute of War and Peace Studies (SIWPS) in March 2003. President Eisenhower created the Institute to promote understanding of the "disastrous consequences of war upon man\'s spiritual, intellectual, and material progress." The Institute has no formal teaching program; rather, its members conduct a wide variety of instructional activities through the Political Science Department and the School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA) at Columbia. Institute members offer courses on American foreign policy, national security, international politics, political economy, environmental policy, and international organization. In addition to offering courses, SIWPS Director Richard Betts coordinates the International Security Policy Concentration for SIPA, and Professor Robert Jervis serves as Deputy Chair of the Department of Political Science.
Visit Site

Resources: