You searched for: Political Geography Middle East Remove constraint Political Geography: Middle East Journal The World Today Remove constraint Journal: The World Today Topic Humanitarian Aid Remove constraint Topic: Humanitarian Aid
- Publication Date: 10-2014
- Content Type: Journal Article
- Journal: The World Today
- Institution: Chatham House
- Abstract: In the Middle East today there are armed groups that have no respect for the humanitarian imperative. What challenges does this present to the Red Cross? I see two key challenges. The first one is very basic. We want to maintain a very close relationship with people affected by conflict, and access these days is more complex because we are in a very polarized environment. Look at the Iraq front–the problem is not new but it is exacerbated. The second issue is to be able to engage governments and non-state armed groups on a very pragmatic basis on issues related to people under their control. That normally works rather well. What I have found more complex these days is to engage them on issues related to international humanitarian law and the Geneva conventions.
- Topic: Humanitarian Aid, Islam
- Political Geography: Geneva, Iraq, Middle East