You searched for: Political Geography Europe Remove constraint Political Geography: Europe Journal Americas Quarterly Remove constraint Journal: Americas Quarterly Topic Environment Remove constraint Topic: Environment
- Publication Date: 04-2014
- Content Type: Journal Article
- Journal: Americas Quarterly
- Institution: Council of the Americas
- Abstract: Prost, Brazil! Grab a stein-full of caipirinha and stroll down to Ipanema beach in your lederhosen—it's Germany-Brazil Year in Brazil. The yearlong festival, aimed at deepening German-Brazilian relations, kicked off in May with the opening of the German-Brazilian Economic Forum in São Paulo. “Brazil is one of the most successful new centers of power in the world,” says Guido Westerwelle, Germany's foreign minister. “We want to intensify cooperation with Brazil, not only economically but also culturally.” It's no surprise that Brazil, the sixth-largest economy in the world, has caught the attention of Europe's financial powerhouse. Brazil is Germany's most important trading partner in Latin America, accounting for $14.2 billion in imports in 2012. With some 1,600 German companies in Brazil providing 250,000 jobs and 17 percent of industrial GDP, it's an economic relationship that clearly has mutual benefits.
- Topic: Security, Economics, Environment
- Political Geography: United States, New York, Europe, Brazil, Germany, Mexico