You searched for: Political Geography Denmark Remove constraint Political Geography: Denmark Topic Migration Remove constraint Topic: Migration
- Author: Nauja Kleist
- Publication Date: 05-2009
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Danish Institute for International Studies
- Abstract: Diaspora and migrant associations are often praised as new 'agents of change' for their contributions to development in their countries of origin. While much is known about Latin American hometown associations, there has been less focus on African diaspora associations. This DIIS Brief examines Somali and Ghanaian migrant associations in Denmark and their involvement in development. It shows how associations involve themselves on the basis of particular loyalties and emphasizes the importance of local partners and collaboration.
- Topic: Migration, Poverty, Diaspora
- Political Geography: Africa, Europe, Denmark, Latin America
- Author: Kræn Blume, Björn Gustafsson, Peder Pedersen, Mette Verner
- Publication Date: 04-2003
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: United Nations University
- Abstract: The paper focuses on the problems of low income among immigrants, analysed by using comparable panel datasets for two Scandinavian welfare states. After a brief survey of a few earlier studies on immigrant poverty, we present Denmark and Sweden as interesting cases for comparative research. Cyclical profiles have been very different since the 1980s and both countries have experienced considerable differences with regard to the number and composition of immigrants from the less developed countries. Poverty rates, analysed relative to different background factors, are fairly high, in particular when considering the welfare state background of Denmark and Sweden. A number of differences are found in spite of the institutional similarities between the two countries.
- Topic: Economics, Migration, Political Economy, Poverty
- Political Geography: Denmark, Sweden