You searched for: Publishing Institution Istituto Affari Internazionali Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Istituto Affari Internazionali Political Geography India Remove constraint Political Geography: India Topic Human Rights Remove constraint Topic: Human Rights
- Author: Fabienne Zwagemakers
- Publication Date: 01-2012
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Istituto Affari Internazionali
- Abstract: Through the inclusion of human rights and democracy clauses in the trade and association agreements of its common external trade policy, the European Union seeks to promote and transmit the values of human rights, democracy, and the rule of law globally. However, trade partners from the developing world often feel that these clauses offend their national sovereignty, and sometimes resort to alternative agreements offered by countries notorious for cutting corners. This working paper offers an assessment of the motives for non-compliance and sketches out how the EU could engender compliance. The paper concludes that there is a pivotal role to be played by education, civil society, business, and political parties in the nexus between economic growth, democracy, and the respect for human rights. The EU must target these factors directly, as they largely determine the domestic enforcement of HR clauses. In addition, the EU should develop a human rights strategy coordinated with global, regional, and local actors.
- Topic: Democratization, Human Rights, International Trade and Finance, Treaties and Agreements
- Political Geography: Europe, India, Sri Lanka