You searched for: Publishing Institution Istituto Affari Internazionali Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Istituto Affari Internazionali Political Geography India Remove constraint Political Geography: India Topic Governance Remove constraint Topic: Governance
- Author: Neera Chandhoke
- Publication Date: 06-2014
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Istituto Affari Internazionali
- Abstract: The current elections, which gave to the BJP a majority in Parliament, have brought back the one-party dominant system that was once used to describe the hegemony of the Congress party, and the lack of an opposition. The "new" one-party dominant system is however dramatically different from the original one. The BJP unlike the Congress is a cadre based party and subscribes to a distinct ideology. It is also headed by the powerful figure of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, whose image looms larger than the party and his colleagues. India will witness a qualitatively different style of governance in the next five years.
- Topic: Democratization, Power Politics, Governance
- Political Geography: India, Southeast Asia