You searched for: Publishing Institution Africa Center for Strategic Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Africa Center for Strategic Studies Political Geography Egypt Remove constraint Political Geography: Egypt Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Politics Remove constraint Topic: Politics
- Author: Mathurin C. Houngnikpo
- Publication Date: 01-2012
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Africa Center for Strategic Studies
- Abstract: A spate of military coups from 2008 to 2010 in Mauritania, Guinea, Niger, and Madagascar raised the specter of a return to military rule in Africa. While the subsequent resumption of civilian government in Guinea and Niger has reduced these concerns, evidence of military influence in politics remains widespread across the continent. This is prominently in view in Egypt where, in the midst of political transition, the military is attempting to maintain a privileged role for itself despite the widespread demands for genuine democratic reform.
- Topic: Security, Democratization, Politics, Armed Forces
- Political Geography: Africa, Egypt, Guinea, Mauritania