You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Political Geography East Asia Remove constraint Political Geography: East Asia Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years
- Author: Henry D. Sokolski
- Publication Date: 09-2016
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Nonproliferation Policy Education Center
- Abstract: Long considered unlikely, the prospect of South Korea and Japan getting nuclear weapons and China and North Korea significantly ramping up their arsenals has become the next big worry. This June, CIA Director John Brennan testified that nuclear proliferation was “a blinking red light” and spotlighted North Korea’s nuclear misbehavior as a key concern.1 His testimony came only weeks after a The New York Times interview of Donald Trump in which the Republican presidential hopeful emphasized the inevitabil- ity and possible benefits of Japan and South Korea going nuclear.2 Since then, the question of whether or not it is in Washington’s interest to push nonproliferation in East Asia has been a hot topic in and outside the Beltway.
- Topic: Nuclear Weapons, Nuclear Power
- Political Geography: East Asia