You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution The Washington Institute for Near East Policy Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Washington Institute for Near East Policy Political Geography Israel Remove constraint Political Geography: Israel Topic Conflict Resolution Remove constraint Topic: Conflict Resolution
- Author: Tal Becker
- Publication Date: 02-2011
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: The Washington Institute for Near East Policy
- Abstract: Amid efforts to relaunch and sustain Israeli-Palestinian peace talks, Israel's claim for recognition as a Jewish state continues to generate controversy. While Israel's leaders have insisted that such recognition is fundamental to any peace agreement, Palestinian and other Arab leaders have responded to the claim with consistent and widespread antipathy. To begin to explore how this issue might be appropriately addressed in the context of Israeli-Palestinian negotiations, it is necessary to place the claim for recognition in its historical, political, and strategic context. We must consider the nature and legitimacy of the interests at stake and examine the alternatives for addressing them.
- Topic: Conflict Resolution, Peace Studies, Treaties and Agreements, Territorial Disputes
- Political Geography: Middle East, Israel, Palestine, Arabia