You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution The Polish Institute of International Affairs Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Polish Institute of International Affairs Topic Bilateral Relations Remove constraint Topic: Bilateral Relations
- Author: Andrzej Szeptycki
- Publication Date: 03-2006
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: The Polish Institute of International Affairs
- Abstract: Ukraine and the Republic of Belarus are two important neighbours of Poland and the European Union, naturally separating them from Russia. After gaining independence in 1991, they faced the choice between re-integration with Russia or strengthening their own statehood and position in the international arena. In the mid-1990s, Belarus decided to choose the first option, whereas Ukraine, though it did not resign from cooperation with Russia, strove to develop an independent foreign policy and tighten its contacts with the Euro-Atlantic structures. Over the last 14 years, the two states have not attached excessive importance to bilateral relations, also researchers have not shown much interest in the issue.
- Topic: Foreign Policy, Bilateral Relations
- Political Geography: Russia, Ukraine