You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution European Union Institute for Security Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: European Union Institute for Security Studies Political Geography Australia/Pacific Remove constraint Political Geography: Australia/Pacific Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic International Cooperation Remove constraint Topic: International Cooperation
- Author: Alistair MacDonald, Gabriel Munuera Viñals
- Publication Date: 06-2012
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: European Union Institute for Security Studies
- Abstract: The confrontation between Muslim and Christian inhabitants of Western Mindanao, between the 'Moros' and the Philippine State, belongs to that category of 'forgotten conflicts' of which most international relations practitioners are often only vaguely aware. The conflict has historical roots that reach back centuries and has evolved with many twists and turns, culminating in an equally long and no less convoluted peace process. However, this conflict has important international ramifications and is one in which the international community is today actively involved, with facilitating and monitoring mechanisms involving states as well as non-state actors. In particular the European Union has been playing an increasingly important role, including in relation to diplomatic efforts aimed at finding a lasting solution to the conflict, based on its holistic approach to crises and interaction with European NGOs.
- Topic: Conflict Resolution, Diplomacy, International Cooperation, Islam, Religion
- Political Geography: Europe, Israel, Philippines, Australia/Pacific