You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Chatham House Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Chatham House Political Geography Europe Remove constraint Political Geography: Europe Topic Economics Remove constraint Topic: Economics
- Author: Rifat A Atun, Susan Fitzpatrick
- Publication Date: 02-2006
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Chatham House
- Abstract: The traditional view of the relationship between economic growth and health had emphasized the impact of economic growth on improved health. However, from the beginning of the 'human capital' revolution in economics, there was a conceptual base that health is a core contributor to an individual's human capital, while health care is clearly a desired consumption good. Now, there is strong empirical evidence from both developing and developed countries which demonstrates the two-way relationship: that economic growth improves health but improved health also significantly enhances economic productivity and growth. In fact, it is not an exaggeration to say that no society has seen sustained economic progress when it has neglected investment in its people's education and health.
- Topic: Economics, Health
- Political Geography: Europe