You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Academy of Political Science Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Academy of Political Science Political Geography Afghanistan Remove constraint Political Geography: Afghanistan Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Topic Democratization Remove constraint Topic: Democratization
- Publication Date: 03-2002
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Academy of Political Science
- Abstract: As a result of 23 years of war and civil conflict, and despite the recent removal of the Taliban and establishment of an Interim Authority, Afghanistan remains a country in chaos. Unless and until Afghanistan is at least modestly stable and secure, it will continue to represent a risk to the region and the world. The global order is still grappling with the question of failed states, but one lesson is certain: when governments fail, warlords, drug barons, or terrorists fill the vacuum. The only sure way to eliminate terrorism and extremism in Afghanistan is to support its leaders and people in their quest for internal stability and security, according to their own rich traditions and history.
- Topic: Democratization, Government, International Cooperation
- Political Geography: Afghanistan, Middle East, Taliban