You searched for: Content Type Working Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Working Paper Publishing Institution Institute for Palestine Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Institute for Palestine Studies
- Author: Elia Zureik
- Publication Date: 05-1996
- Content Type: Working Paper
- Institution: Institute for Palestine Studies
- Abstract: As a discipline, refugee studies is of a recent vintage and very much influenced by the more established tradition of migration studies. Analysis of (voluntary) migration tends to focus on individuals rather than groups. To the extent that groups are considered, they are treated as aggregates of individuals rather than as cohesive social units in the sociological sense of constituting communities with shared common historical experiences (Shami 1993). In contrast with immigrant status, refugee status is the outcome of involuntary forms of migration, in which displacement is often caused by events beyond the control of refugees, such as internal and external wars, state policies of expulsion and exclusion, development projects, and natural disasters.
- Topic: Conflict Resolution, Migration, Peace Studies
- Political Geography: Middle East