You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Political Geography Palestine Remove constraint Political Geography: Palestine Publication Year within 1 Year Remove constraint Publication Year: within 1 Year Topic International Political Economy Remove constraint Topic: International Political Economy
- Author: Victor Kattan
- Publication Date: 03-2019
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Institute for Palestine Studies
- Abstract: On 25 March 2019, U.S. president Donald Trump signed a proclamation recognizing the occupied Golan Heights as part of Israel. The Golan Heights proclamation, which endorses Israel’s annexation of the territory captured from Syria in the 1967 war, was issued two weeks before the Israeli general election in a photo-op with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the White House. Undermining internationally agreed-upon norms prohibiting states from recognizing the annexation of territory by force, the proclamation could have detrimental consequences for the international legal order, providing a precedent for other states to take steps to annex territory they claim is necessary for their defense.
- Topic: International Political Economy, International Affairs, Occupation
- Political Geography: Israel, Palestine