You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Political Geography Canada Remove constraint Political Geography: Canada Topic Climate Change Remove constraint Topic: Climate Change
- Author: Adam Lajeunesse
- Publication Date: 09-2015
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Centre for Military and Strategic Studies
- Abstract: Ice islands are large rafts of multi-year ice that are carried by currents around the Arctic Ocean. They became politically significant in the early 1950s when American and Soviet research parties began occupying them. This activity called into question their legal status and highlighted the uncertain nature of polar maritime jurisdiction. This volume tracks the evolution of Canadian policy vis-à-vis ice islands and examines how the politics surrounding these bodies influenced the country’s broader position on Arctic maritime sovereignty.
- Topic: Climate Change, International Affairs
- Political Geography: Canada