You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Political Geography Asia Remove constraint Political Geography: Asia Publication Year within 1 Year Remove constraint Publication Year: within 1 Year Topic International Affairs Remove constraint Topic: International Affairs
- Author: Peter Engelke, David Michel
- Publication Date: 04-2019
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Atlantic Council
- Abstract: Himalayan Asia is a shorthand term referring to the Asian countries that depend on river water from the high mountain ranges of the Tibetan Plateau. As the rivers produced by the Himalayas and other mountain ranges on the Plateau are under increasingly serious pressure, water insecurity threatens much of the continent’s peace and security. Himalayan Asia’s transboundary water dynamics threaten to erode interstate cooperation, including among the continent’s major powers, risk worsening geopolitical competition, and heighten the odds of domestic and interstate conflict. Yet there are viable pathways for avoiding such outcomes, the most important of which treat water as a shared resource to be managed cooperatively.
- Topic: Peace Studies, International Affairs
- Political Geography: Asia