You searched for: Content Type Special Report Remove constraint Content Type: Special Report Publishing Institution Center for a New American Security Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Center for a New American Security Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years Topic Climate Change Remove constraint Topic: Climate Change
- Author: David F. Gordon, Divya P. Reddy, Elizabeth Rosenberg
- Publication Date: 09-2017
- Content Type: Special Report
- Institution: Center for a New American Security
- Abstract: The dust is now settling on President Donald Trump’s controversial decision to withdraw the United States from the 2015 Paris Agreement on climate change. This decision was a foreign policy mistake. It will make sustaining American credibility more difficult in other multilateral institutions and settings. It will exacerbate anti-American sentiment in Europe, making trans-Atlantic leadership collaboration more difficult well beyond climate policy. On climate, it threatens to undermine the balance achieved in Paris between the centralized and top-down approach favored by the Europeans and the more decentralized and market-friendly approach of the United States, which was supported by China. As a result, it also could lead to the creation of an uneven playing field for U.S. businesses.
- Topic: Climate Change, Environment, Global Political Economy
- Political Geography: Global Focus