You searched for: Content Type Research Paper Remove constraint Content Type: Research Paper Political Geography Global Focus Remove constraint Political Geography: Global Focus Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Topic National Security Remove constraint Topic: National Security
- Author: Cullen S. Hendrix
- Publication Date: 04-2016
- Content Type: Research Paper
- Institution: Chicago Council on Global Affairs
- Abstract: Feeding the world and teaching the world to feed itself is not just a humanitarian endeavor. It is vital to US national security. Food price–related unrest can have an immense impact on the stability of countries vital to US interests. Fortunately, the United States is well positioned to lead the fight against food insecurity across the globe. Even with increases in agricultural productivity, Africa and Asia have become increasingly dependent on global markets to satisfy their growing domestic demand for food. For example, Africa's 20 most populous countries are all net grain importers. This import dependence has made these countries more sensitive to food price volatility than ever before.
- Topic: International Political Economy, National Security, Food Security
- Political Geography: America, Global Focus