You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Political Geography United States Remove constraint Political Geography: United States Topic International Affairs Remove constraint Topic: International Affairs
- Publication Date: 12-2007
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Atlantic Council
- Abstract: The U.S. government has sought to advance democratic and free-market change in Cuba for 47 years. Those efforts have failed. Indeed, the transfer of power from Fidel Castro has produced little change in Cuba's politics and took place with no manifestations of broad popular demands for an end to one-party Communist rule. Instead, the Cuban people appear to be resigned to peaceful and gradual change on the island. Most observers judge that any transition to democracy, rule of law, and capitalism is years away.
- Topic: Foreign Policy, International Affairs
- Political Geography: United States, Cuba, Latin America, Caribbean