You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Political Geography Mauritania Remove constraint Political Geography: Mauritania Topic Armed Forces Remove constraint Topic: Armed Forces
- Author: Mathurin C. Houngnikpo
- Publication Date: 01-2012
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Africa Center for Strategic Studies
- Abstract: A spate of military coups from 2008 to 2010 in Mauritania, Guinea, Niger, and Madagascar raised the specter of a return to military rule in Africa. While the subsequent resumption of civilian government in Guinea and Niger has reduced these concerns, evidence of military influence in politics remains widespread across the continent. This is prominently in view in Egypt where, in the midst of political transition, the military is attempting to maintain a privileged role for itself despite the widespread demands for genuine democratic reform.
- Topic: Security, Democratization, Politics, Armed Forces
- Political Geography: Africa, Egypt, Guinea, Mauritania