You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Political Geography Latin America Remove constraint Political Geography: Latin America Publication Year within 10 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 10 Years Topic Cold War Remove constraint Topic: Cold War
- Author: Milburn Line
- Publication Date: 02-2011
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: The Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace Justice, University of San Diego
- Abstract: It is time to reconsider U.S. policy in Colombia, including adding a peace agenda to our strategy. Following problematic and inconclusive results of more than a decade of support known as Plan Colombia, which is largely directed to the Colombian military, the Obama administration should retool U.S. policy. Adding support for a peace process offers specific policy benefits , including: protecting civilian populations by reducing violations of human rights and humanitarian law; strengthening democratic practice and creating consensus on a post-conflict Colombia; improving relations between Colombia and its neighbors; creating clearer policy channels for other U.S. priorities, including free trade and efforts to control the illicit narcotics trade; and renewing respect for American leadership in the region.
- Topic: Conflict Resolution, Political Violence, Cold War, Armed Struggle, Territorial Disputes
- Political Geography: United States, Colombia, Latin America