You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Political Geography Arabia Remove constraint Political Geography: Arabia Topic Terrorism Remove constraint Topic: Terrorism
- Author: Jeffrey S. Helmreich
- Publication Date: 11-2001
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs
- Abstract: As the smoke clears in New York and Kabul, one blind spot still blocks the Western lens in the war against terror. There remains no official definition of "terrorism." The need for such a definition was affirmed by representatives of over 150 countries at a UN conference held in October 2001 on "What is Terrorism?" They came armed with prior resolutions that ban terrorism in any context, no matter its grievance or goal. But the delegates argued that in order to isolate and criminalize the act itself, they would need to identify it. Otherwise, future thugs who massacre innocent civilians could argue that their case is somehow different, or somehow justified by context. They could claim: "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."
- Topic: Security, Religion, Terrorism
- Political Geography: New York, Middle East, Arabia, Kabul