You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution United States Institute of Peace Remove constraint Publishing Institution: United States Institute of Peace Political Geography Sudan Remove constraint Political Geography: Sudan Topic Poverty Remove constraint Topic: Poverty
- Author: Princeton N. Lyman, Jon Temin, Susan Stigant
- Publication Date: 01-2014
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: United States Institute of Peace
- Abstract: Ongoing negotiations to end the South Sudan crisis cannot simply return the country to the previous status quo. For lasting peace, the negotiating parties and mediators will need to reach beyond national political elites and those bearing arms and invite active involvement of the international community. South Sudan needs to build national cohesion and address fundamental issues of governance, democracy, and human rights. Restarting the stalled constitution-making process presents an opportunity to achieve these objectives. Following negotiations, a broad-based, inclusive, interim government that includes a degree of joint South Sudanese-international community administration and management should govern and ensure preparations for new elections.
- Topic: Democratization, Development, Poverty, Power Politics, Fragile/Failed State
- Political Geography: Africa, Sudan