You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution The Washington Institute for Near East Policy Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Washington Institute for Near East Policy Political Geography Iraq Remove constraint Political Geography: Iraq Topic Counterinsurgency Remove constraint Topic: Counterinsurgency
- Author: Michael Eisenstadt
- Publication Date: 10-2004
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: The Washington Institute for Near East Policy
- Abstract: The counterinsurgency in Iraq has entered a critical phase: the start of operations by U.S.-led coalition and Iraqi forces to pacify insurgent-held areas, smoothing the way for January 2005 elections. In recent weeks, coalition and Iraqi forces have battled insurgents in Tal Afar, Samarra, Mahmudiya, and Latifiya, as well as Sadr City and Haifa Street in Baghdad. They now appear to be preparing to move against Falluja, which has been described by some U.S. officials as the "center of gravity" of the Sunni insurgency.
- Topic: Security, Religion, Counterinsurgency
- Political Geography: United States, Iraq, Middle East, Arab Countries