You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution The Soufan Group Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Soufan Group Political Geography Iraq Remove constraint Political Geography: Iraq Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Counterinsurgency Remove constraint Topic: Counterinsurgency
- Publication Date: 02-2015
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: The Soufan Group
- Abstract: The Islamic State has been moving aggressively to exploit the chaos of Libya since last summer, with profound risks for the Mediterranean region and beyond Libya is a perfect breeding ground for an expanded Islamic State, with large amounts of heavy weaponry, systemic lawlessness, a divided population, and sustained armed conflict The group has formed three active and capable groups in Libya-in Tripoli, Fezzan, and Barqa-all of which have conducted deadly attacks in recent months The phenomenon of Islamic State affiliates-beginning in the summer of 2014, before which the group was entirely focused on Iraq and Syria-is actually in the tradition of its arch-rival al-Qaeda the presence and power of the Islamic State in Libya will likely increase as conditions in Syria and Iraq deteriorate for the group, and conditions in Libya continue to worsen.
- Topic: Conflict Resolution, Islam, Terrorism, Armed Struggle, Counterinsurgency
- Political Geography: Iraq, Libya, Syria