You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution The Geneva Centre for Security Policy Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Geneva Centre for Security Policy Political Geography Indonesia Remove constraint Political Geography: Indonesia Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Topic Democratization Remove constraint Topic: Democratization
- Author: Graeme P. Herd
- Publication Date: 03-2011
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: The Geneva Centre for Security Policy
- Abstract: Beyond noting the fluidity, ambiguity and ambivalence associated with the revolutions in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya, there is little consensus on causes and likely consequences. Do these geopolitical earthquakes constitute an “Arab Spring” leading to transition democratization, akin to 1989 in Central and Eastern Europe? Or should we look to 1979 in Iran, and the prospect of Sunni rather than Shia theocracy taking hold? Might the wider Muslim world – Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan and Turkey – provide alternative potential governance models for the MENA region, given indigenous variants appear exhausted and no longer able to self-reproduce? What are the lessons which other MENA incumbent regimes and the international community will identify? How might those lessons be learned?
- Topic: Democratization, Regime Change, Insurgency
- Political Geography: Pakistan, Indonesia, Turkey, Middle East, Arabia