You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution The Geneva Centre for Security Policy Remove constraint Publishing Institution: The Geneva Centre for Security Policy Political Geography Egypt Remove constraint Political Geography: Egypt Topic Insurgency Remove constraint Topic: Insurgency
- Author: Vicken Cheterian
- Publication Date: 02-2011
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: The Geneva Centre for Security Policy
- Abstract: The Arab revolt that started in Tunisia and over¬threw the reign of Zein El-Abedeen Ben Ali is taking the form of a huge wave. The regime of Hosni Mubarak of Egypt, the central state of the Arab World, followed suit. Uprising in Libya continues, in spite of attempts by the Kaddhafi regime to kill it in blood and fire. Ali Abdallah Saleh of Yemen declared that he will not seek a new mandate, a concession which only emboldened both opposition and youth revolt. King Abdallah of Jordan sacked the unpopular government of Samir Rifai, and named Maruf Bakhit as the new prime minister and asked him to bring “true political reforms”. In a word, the entire Arab World is facing an unprecedented wave of revolt.
- Topic: Political Violence, Corruption, Economics, Insurgency
- Political Geography: Middle East, Libya, Arabia, Egypt, Tunisia