You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution SETA Foundation for Political, Economic and Social Research Remove constraint Publishing Institution: SETA Foundation for Political, Economic and Social Research Political Geography Washington Remove constraint Political Geography: Washington
- Author: Bülent Aras
- Publication Date: 11-2007
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: SETA Foundation for Political, Economic and Social Research
- Abstract: In an age of war on terror, Turkey pursues its own war against the escalating PKK (Kurdistan Workers' Party) terror. The dynamics that led to a parliamentary motion for a cross border operation into Northern Iraq will have implications for Turkey's relations with Washington, Baghdad and other capitals in the region. The Expanded Meeting of the Neighboring Countries of Iraq held in Istanbul on 2-3 November 2007 coincided with Turkey's intensive regional diplomacy. There are serious challenges to ending PKK terrorism and finding a lasting solution to the Kurdish problem. The Erdogan Government must fight terrorism in a way that will not jeopardize the process of democratization and political reforms in Turkey.
- Topic: Conflict Resolution, Conflict Prevention, Democratization, Terrorism, War
- Political Geography: Iraq, Washington, Turkey, Middle East, Baghdad