You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution Israel/Palestine Creative Regional Initiatives (IPCRI) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: Israel/Palestine Creative Regional Initiatives (IPCRI) Political Geography Israel Remove constraint Political Geography: Israel Publication Year within 3 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 3 Years
- Author: Liel Maghen, Shira Kronich, Christiane Frohlich, Mahmoud Shatat, Tobias von Lossow, Ali Oguz Diriöz, Giulia Giordano, Desirée A.L Quagliarotti
- Publication Date: 04-2020
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: Israel/Palestine Creative Regional Initiatives (IPCRI)
- Abstract: Over the last decades, desertification and water-scarcity have become major problems in the Middle East, and more specifically in the Eastern Mediterranean region (Jordan, Israel, Lebanon, the Occupied Palestinian Territories and Syria). These developments have had significant political and socioeconomic impacts for the region. Increasingly securitized, water has been transformed into a political card, discouraging inter-state cooperation. Securitization of water has also led to exclusion of civil society and non-governmental actors from resource management. This Joint Policy Study resulted from a partnership between IPCRI, AIES and Euromesco. IT discusses securitisation and de-securitisation trends in the region and examines the policies that can ensure water security. It argues that multilateral cooperation can trigger effective cooperation over shared water resources. Furthermore, civil society should be reincorporated into management and monitoring of water resources, which would lead to gradual desecuritisation of this resource.
- Topic: Security, Regional Cooperation, Natural Resources, Water
- Political Geography: Middle East, Israel, Palestine, Lebanon, Jordan