You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution IEMed/EuroMeSCo Remove constraint Publishing Institution: IEMed/EuroMeSCo Political Geography Europe Remove constraint Political Geography: Europe Publication Year within 25 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 25 Years Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic Security Remove constraint Topic: Security
- Author: Marko Lovec
- Publication Date: 11-2015
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: IEMed/EuroMeSCo
- Abstract: The recent food security crisis has shed light on the importance of agricultural development in the South Mediterranean countries. An ‘urban bias’ and ‘trade liberalisation’ policies have resulted in growing dependence on imports, narrow specialisations and unsustainable production practices. The Euro-Mediterranean integration process has put trade liberalisation in the centre of attention, while the progress in agriculture has been limited. The purpose of this paper is to analyse the challenges faced by agro-food systems in Southern and Eastern Mediterranean Countries, with specific attention to the role of the Euro-Mediterranean integration and the reform of the Common Agricultural Policy. The paper also reviews relevant economic and environmental data in selected South and East Mediterranean countries.
- Topic: Security, Agriculture, Development, Economics, International Trade and Finance, Food
- Political Geography: Europe