You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution IEMed/EuroMeSCo Remove constraint Publishing Institution: IEMed/EuroMeSCo Political Geography Arab Countries Remove constraint Political Geography: Arab Countries Topic Politics Remove constraint Topic: Politics
- Author: George Joffé
- Publication Date: 07-2012
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: IEMed/EuroMeSCo
- Abstract: The election of a new national assembly in Libya is good news in several respects after a decidedly difficult transition from the elation that accompanied the collapse of the Gaddafi regime last October to the realities of reconstructing the Libyan state. Perphaps the first piece of good news is the simple fact that it actually took place and did so in a relatively peaceful atmosphere. Secondly, the electoral process has been judged by outside observers to have been free and fair. And, finally, the outcome seems to have been a victory for moderation, rather than an outright win for Libya's Islamist movements - unlike the situation elsewhere.
- Topic: Conflict Resolution, Democratization, Islam, Politics, Regime Change
- Political Geography: Arab Countries, North Africa