You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution German Development Institute (DIE) Remove constraint Publishing Institution: German Development Institute (DIE) Political Geography North Africa Remove constraint Political Geography: North Africa Publication Year within 1 Year Remove constraint Publication Year: within 1 Year
- Author: Annabelle Houdret, Irene Pasqua, Saâd Filali Meknassi
- Publication Date: 06-2018
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: German Development Institute (DIE)
- Abstract: In Tunisia, Morocco and other North African countries, en¬vironmental problems increasingly lead to political protest. Industrial pollution and a lack of clean drinking water adversely impact the living conditions and income op¬portunities of already marginalised groups and trigger unrest. Environmental governance in the region is often highly centralised, and takes no consideration of the needs of the citizens in the use of natural resources. In a political context that remains unstable following the 2011 uprisings, the double challenge of mounting environmental problems and related social unrest calls for new approaches. Reinforcing accountable environmental governance could help, not only by addressing environmental problems and needs, but by contributing to the overall transformation of societal relationships towards more democratic (i.e. transparent, accountable and participative) governance in the longer term.
- Topic: International Affairs
- Political Geography: North Africa