You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution European Union Institute for Security Studies Remove constraint Publishing Institution: European Union Institute for Security Studies Political Geography Europe Remove constraint Political Geography: Europe Publication Year within 5 Years Remove constraint Publication Year: within 5 Years Topic International Political Economy Remove constraint Topic: International Political Economy
- Author: Nicu Popescu, Iana Dreyer
- Publication Date: 03-2014
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: European Union Institute for Security Studies
- Abstract: Long ignored by the West, the Eurasian Customs Union (consisting of Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan) has recently been brought into the international limelight. The project – an attempt by the Kremlin to create a rival to the European Union and its Eastern Partnership project – attracted attention when Moscow, with its characteristic bluntness, began to pressure Armenia, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine to join the grouping and drop their plans to sign Association Agreements with the EU. Although Russia has not succeeded in convincing all these states to join, it managed to do so with Armenia in September 2013, and the political tussle over the issue with Ukraine played a central role in triggering the country's current crisis.
- Topic: Economics, International Political Economy, International Trade and Finance, Power Politics
- Political Geography: Europe, Eurasia, Asia