You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution European Policy Centre Remove constraint Publishing Institution: European Policy Centre Topic Climate Change Remove constraint Topic: Climate Change
- Author: Claire Dhéret, Marco Giuli
- Publication Date: 06-2017
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: European Policy Centre
- Abstract: Energy poverty, defined as the "inability to afford basic energy services such as adequate warmth, cooling, lighting and the energy to power appliances due to a combination of low income, high energy expenditure and poor energy efficiency of dwellings",2 has recently been on the radar of policymakers, leading to some efforts in tackling the issue. Yet, developing adequate policy solutions has remained difficult both at the national and European level, not least due to the complexity and the multidimensional nature of the phenomenon and the limited competences of the European Union (EU) in the social area. Thus, despite some positive developments, there still is a long journey towards eradicating energy poverty. This paper presents some milestones along the way and recommendations for the future.
- Topic: Climate Change, Energy Policy
- Political Geography: Europe