You searched for: Content Type Policy Brief Remove constraint Content Type: Policy Brief Publishing Institution EastWest Institute Remove constraint Publishing Institution: EastWest Institute Political Geography Africa Remove constraint Political Geography: Africa Topic Globalization Remove constraint Topic: Globalization
- Author: Christine Lynch, Devon Tucker, Michael Harvey, Jacqueline McLaren Miller
- Publication Date: 02-2009
- Content Type: Policy Brief
- Institution: EastWest Institute
- Abstract: Drawing on a diverse array of opinions from Africa, Asia, Europe, and North America, the EastWest Institute's Fifth Worldwide Security Conference brought together specialists from the spheres of policy, academia, and civil society. Participants addressed a variety of issues on the contemporary global security landscape. These ranged from specific security threats (whether illicit trade, the targeting of critical infrastructure or cyber crime) to the role of interested actors (such as business, NGOs, and media), as well as a focus on potential strategies to counter terrorism and extremism (either in terms of constructing global cooperative architectures or, more controversially, the possibility of opening dialogue with the terrorists). A variety of policy recommendations emerged from each session—detailed in the main body of the report—but there were several recurring themes binding the debate together and animating the core arguments of proceedings as a whole. These policy recommendations were not necessarily consensus recommendations but reflected a wide range of debated policy prescriptions.
- Topic: International Relations, Security, Economics, Education, Globalization, Human Rights, International Security, Political Theory
- Political Geography: Africa, Europe, Asia, North America